View Single Post
Old 01-22-2020, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
What type of driving do you do with the car? If you partake in driving that can result in the pickup being uncovered, unlike with a carb that you have the bowl to help you out, you don't have that with EFI. It's why EFI tanks have built in sumps and baffles to prevent fuel slosh and keep the pickup covered during all driving maneuvers.

If the car is only ever cruised around, doesn't see hard launches or anything like that, you can probably get away with it. If you drive the car spiritedly you'll likely need to keep the tank at least about half full at all times.

I run a Tanks Inc setup in my bird and it's absolutely as good as it sounds. Hard acceleration, braking, hard cornering, even below 1/4 tank I've never had fuel starvation with my setup. Like you I tried saving a couple hundred at first on the fuel system, only to fight the car, end up tearing it out and doing what I should have done in the first place, which is the EFI ready tank and fuel pump.
I run a Walbro 255 and a Vette regulator on the frame of my T/A, and use the stock sending unit as my fuel pickup.

I wheel the hell out of it, and haven't experienced any fuel starvation, but I also dont run it down to E. I have had it down close to an 1/8th before, and it's been fine. That said, there are some cars where the tanks just can't help sucking up air if they have less than a 1/2 tank.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National