View Single Post
Old 07-14-2020, 10:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

backn65, I agree, that looks great! You could probably sell those.

Rich, I didn't punch any holes in the firewall. In fact, welded one up where a prior owner had crudely opened a hole for the old mechanical (not electrical) oil sender.

Isn't your temp sender electrical? Without looking at my set-up, I don't recall how the wire connects at the sender. Pretty sure it can unplug.

But I made up my own wire harnesses for each gauge with Packard 56 connectors (same type as used under the dash for most stuff), even used similar color coded wires. Each wire goes from sender to gauge with connectors on each end to mate up.

If nothing else, I would have the wires disconnected from the gauges and fed it from the engine side thru the firewall and then under the dash to the gauges.

I'm not using the factory temp sender and idiot light (the idiot lights for oil and volts are in use) but not sure why you need to punch a hole.

I made my wires long enough to route thru the factory grommet where accessory wiring passes thru (near the fuse block connector). Same grommet where the yellow power feed for the convertible top passes thru.

You mention a cable? I'm not clear what that refers to. I understand if it can't disconnect from the sender but can't you disconnect it from the gauge?

Maybe it won't be long enough to reach the gauge? If not, I think I would try to connect a wire extension to it on the gauge end rather than punch a hole in my firewall.

I'm probably just not understanding your set-up but wanted to suggest this in case you hadn't thought of it.