View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 07:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Stuart,

Nice! I've never seen Honduras Maroon on a '74 GTO...it looks good. The 8.5" 10-bolts are really strong rear ends and nice they were standard in our 74's. Turbo 400's are easier (cheaper) to modify than the TH350 to handle the same power level and will last longer. The only caveat is you have to shorten the driveshaft a couple inches. You have plans for big horsepower and a comfortable cruiser with AC...the best of both worlds in the Texas heat.

My GTO was freshly restored before I bought it, so it's staying stock, or at least stock appearing. It's not done yet either, it needs the final buffing as the paint is done shrinking now and I have to get the in-dash tach fixed (but a huge PITA to remove, even without AC). The factory mystery shifter is plain awful to get into reverse and will lock up if you try to man-handle it. I bought a 74 BWST-10 4-speed trans for it and need to modify a Hurst shifter to make it work with it and come through the console in the right place. I also found a '74 WR code 400 (TA 4-spd with HEI) motor that I was toying around rebuilding and installing for a 'what-if' GTO. It now has a 3.42 gear in the back that the guy restoring it put in. He had planned running it at the pure stock drags.

I'll be following your build as you go...mine is boring...and for all intents and purposes done enough. Can't wait to see more as you make progress!

Dennis