View Single Post
Old 11-24-2018, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I'm don't have ordinary hot rod automotive experience's like some folks have been blessed with. I've obtained several engines that I KNEW might be toast, paid a little money for some, some free (one 455 and one 400).
I got these because they were cheap. spent time on them (my time is cheap...) scrapped a bunch, still have a couple that are getting more attention as my life's financial situations have improved some...
I've taken apart many engines that weren't crusty, those sure are nice. I wonder how many here have never disassembled a crusty engine?, obviously way worse that your 67 GP's???

You never know how these deals can play out. The cyl's with pistons at TDC will only get the "brew" around a very small part of the piston, even if it's all the way at TDC. Pistons at BDC will get "brew" all across the piston. With the engine out, the engine can be rotated to allow cyl's on one bank to completely soak around the rings.

I've used a cheapo 1/2" impact to crush the crush sleeve in differentials. I go a little bit at a time checking to make sure the sleeve is not crushed all the way. Way easier than struggling with a break over. Now one of my "whoop Ass" Snap On impacts will not do this job, can't control it easily had to get another crush sleeve the one time I learned this lesson...

I think of all the bolts I've broken, because I did NOT use an impact. The friction connection can be broken easily with the proper amount of impact. Pull on some bolts and the just twist..a touchy deal.

A deft touch with an impact isn't going to make anything worse...might break loose at less than 160 ft/lbs......

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...