View Single Post
Old 01-11-2020, 08:52 PM
Senior Chief

I would fist like to thank all of your input. This is going to be a ton of fun and I look forward to the challenge of keeping it all together....LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S View Post
Sorry I missed the 1.5 HS rockers. Probably looking at a MSP from Bullet. Guys run those on the street, but you have to be on top of maintenance. Maybe a r125 and a r116, 255,267 @ .050.

I usually use .26 x 28” flow x 8 for hp targets on NA pump gas engines, I use 110% eff of wider lsa rollers. Guys get up to .27-.28 on pump gas. That .26 puts this at 690 hp @ 7000 in N\A. So 10lbs boost with average eff it is just over 1000 hp? Better intercooling 1100?? In a stock 455 block , 4.5 stroke with splayed mains? Man I thought I was crazy. Lol, You probably need the deep skirted girdle worse than any of my engines. Probably need one like my boosted 389 project. It is probably the only girdle I am working on that would maybe keep that 455 block from turning itself into 2 4 cylinders. I am working on that all day today, I am hoping to show Tom V. some of the models in the next couple weeks. Then likely everyone else the end of this month or in Feb. Good luck with your project..
Although I would love an engine that can sing at 7000 RPMs this build will NOT... LOL. I am looking at 6000rpms tops and my starting target is going to be 5500.... and may inch up to 6000 from their depending on how much power its making and how everything looks/sounds... Yes the block does have all new program mains... 3 center splayed mains as well as front and rear mains. I really do wish a girdle was available... I really dont understand why they are not. Sure with deep pockets everyone can afford an aftermarket block, however reality is, not everyone can. And even with the work I have into my 455, the cost do not come no where close to the cost of an aftermarket block... so that debate is all BS. A girdle would be a fraction to make and sell yet add strength where the factory blocks are lacking and would open the door to the little guys and allow them to reliably make high HP (900-1000 possibly more) builds

I would like to hear more about your girdle,

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff2 View Post
I wouldn't use any thing over a 4.00" crank in a high power stock block combo,preferably a 3.75" crank. An extra pound or two of boost will more than make up for the (maybe) less low down torque, and will be much easier on the stock block. Side loading is dramatically increased with long strokes. Rod length and piston height (and piston speed) can be better manipulated with shorter stroke. JMO.
The trend in turbo solid roller cams these days seems to be shorter duration but with massive/aggressive lift, spring eaters for sure. Necessary for very high hp though I suppose.
Yeah, this build was more of a long time plan that I made nearly 15 years ago. I purchased the 455 block with the intention of building a 500ci Pontiac on 15lbs of boost. As I have gotten closer to building it, the reality of the blocks being a limiting factor has convinced me that 15lbs was way to much boost... and 10lbs is also looking to be on the high side... LOL.

However, this is not a drag car and was never intended to be one. I am looking for a super docile idle with a fully muffled exhaust and artic cold AC. I dont want the sound of the car to give away whats under the hood... So the car will look like a well built show car on the street and unsuspecting will not expect the monster under the hood sitting next to them. I also intend to have a cooling system that is more than prepared to keep it all cool sitting in Miami traffic during rush hour.

The goal is to have a cam that makes for a very mild "Prius" like idle NA and then add 8-10lbs of boost on top of that. I was planning on keeping RPMS down below 6000 range.... We will see how things go as we add and turn the boost up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v869tr6 View Post
How much power are you trying to make? Myself I would use a smaller cam and more boost to make the power I needed but I drive a lot of miles. My new cam is a Bullet brand solid roller with 250 duration @ 0.050" and 0.593" lift. and a 4 - 7 switch. I went with Bullet because they had a core that they could grind and not cut thru the case hardening again because I drive the car a lot.
I honestly do NOT have a HP goal... I will be happy NOT to make more than 850hp LOL The intention is NOT to go for an ALL OUT effort build... I do plan on the 4-7 swap on the cam and ignition. It will be a Multi Port FI ECM car and running both a motor plate and mid plate to help keep twisting forces at bay... I may even add a solid center mount for even greater bracing to keep twisting forces down and brace the block between the frame.

The rotating assembly is nearly zero balanced and it will also be running an ATI superdamper... I also dont plan to introduce the boost for about a year after its been built and running on the street. I want to first run it NA so I can break it in without worry of blowing it up, validate the cooling sys and tune. Once everything is running reliably and ability to cool is validated I will start it on 5lbs of boost and work my way up to 10lbs from there...

So the cam I go with would really need to be a mild cam...

Thanks again for all the input!!

SPEED SAFE, NICK

Last edited by AIR RAM; 01-11-2020 at 09:09 PM.