View Single Post
Old 02-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 LeMans 326 View Post
In August 08 I learned I was losing my vision. In the Spring of 09 we made plans to attend Woodward as my team of doctors recommended to my wife and I that we try to see and do as much as possible because I would eventually loose my remaining vision.

When the doctors told of this they asked what is the one thing I'd like to see that I had never seen before. The rattled off a list of things, such as Statue of Liberty, Grand Canyon etc. My immediate response was "Woodward". They looked at me and asked "where is that". I went on to explain the Woodward Dream Cruise but they didn't "get it".

So with all this in mind we planned our trip to Woodward Dream Cruise 09. As the trip was getting closer we realized we would not be able to make the trip financially so we cancelled our hotel stays and let our friends know that we would not be making the trip. Well, unknown to me, they all jumped into action and were selling raffle tickets, 50/50 drawings etc. all to raise funds for us to make our Woodward trip. In fact, even our old car club where we used to live in Buffalo helped out.

As it turned out our car friends raised enough money for gas for our trip up and back as we were trailering our 68 Firebird 400/4-speed from FL to MI. Our locar McDonalds down here sponsored us and covered all of our meals up and back at any McDonalds that we stopped at along the way. There were several local businesses here in our hometown who also sponsored the trip.

We first went to the Ames Performance show in OH then on to MI for the Dream Cruise. We had a terrific time. The highlight of the Ames show was that Don Keffe and my friend Mike arrainged with the owner of the track to allow me to take the final pass on the track with my Firebird. Don took pictures of that event (maybe he will post one here). It was simply awesome.

Then, off to Woodward we went. It would take me hours to detail all the amazing events that took place during our week on Woodward Ave. The local News picked up on our story and covered the entire story airing parts of the story each night on their evening news. The local news papers also picked up on the story. So many people from the area would stop us and wish us luck, wanted to know more about my vision loss etc. People were so kind I can not stop thinking about that trip each and every day since.

The best event happened on Weds before the Dream Cruise. My wife and I and our then 10 y/o son were riding along in our Firebird on Woodward Ave heading towards Detroit. Once I realized we were heading into the City I decided to make a U-turn. Just as I did so, we noticed an orange Judge city at the light heading in the direction that we were about to be going. Just as I made my U-turn I happened to snap a picture in the rearview mirror of our Firebird. Here is that pic. I would have NEVER imagined in a million years the events that followed. What I like to call "Woodward, Dream Come True Cruise".

A couple of pics of Mr. Wangers at a Pontiac show in FL in Feb 08.

One sad twist to the story. After we returned home from that trip, in Dec of 09 our 68 Firebird was rear ended at 45mph (we were sitting still waiting for a draw bridge to reopen) as we were coming home from our car club Christmas dinner. A sad end to a car that my wife and I and three kids spent 10 years restoring was gone in a split second due to an "Undocumented visitor" formerlly known as an illegal alien who was texting on her cell phone at the time of impact.

Thank God my wife nor son were injured. I on the other hand have 5 ruptured discs in my lower back along with a torn spinal cord cavity. However, I'll gladly take the pain knowing that my wife and son were uninjured!

That is my "Woodward" story. I only hope that Dave and Mr. Wangers know how much their kindness has meant to my wife and I and our son. Although that trip took place almost 2 years ago, we discuss that trip daily! Honestly, that trip was the greatest thing that has ever happened to me aside from meeting and marrying the greatest women on the earth. The women who now helps me 24/7, goes with me everywhere I go. We married at the age of 18, had three wonderful kids and now 25 years later we are still together and I thank God for her every day of my life.

As a side note, the air cleaner lid, gas filler door and MEAN BRD license plate are soon to be in a shadow box (currently being made) hanging on the wall in our shop.

I hope you enjoyed my Woodward story. I've told it a million times now and it never gets old. The way it happened, the people that were involved in making it happen, the entire story was truly a dream come true...

Thats an awesome story and pics... that was a beautiful car... too bad they cant teach the "Undocumented Visitors" how to drive before they take the box truck tour into our country! I hope you are doing well.... thanks for sharing...