View Single Post
Old 07-17-2019, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ran dual 650 AFB carbs non-progressive with 3.36's and the M20 with the Old Faithful cam in the 428. Car always left silky smooth with no effort.

I just solved a problem with the current combo which is a 462, Quadrajet, and a little larger cam that complained a lot on take off. I would have to feather the clutch on normal take offs while playing with the throttle. Problem ended up that I had leaned out the carb's low speed circuit too far and the engine didn't like it. I had decreased the primary jet size two sizes by following my AF meter. After ignoring the meter and going back up three sizes the drivability is now back to where it should be.

Talking about wide ratio vs close, back in '67 when I ordered the car I settled on the 3.36 rear and wide ratio for two reasons. The first is I had to commute fairly large distances, and the second was looking at drive ratios. Ever notice that the first three gears with a wide ratio and 3.36 rear are almost the same as a 3.90 rear and close ratio trans? Yeah, healthy drop from 3rd to 4th, but I remember that being about 88 mph with the original tires. Most street races are over way before that, and torque does a pretty good job of pulling through the gap anyway.

On the two fours - gas mileage was excellent but when I sold them and put on a 800cfm Quadrajet and Torker I manifold the car went a tenth and a half faster (and lost one MPG). The AFB's were silky smooth and never gave a problem, and I suspect the horsepower limitation was the Offy manifold. Still did okay on Harry K's chassis dyno producing 413 RWH at 5,160.

Anyway getting back to the point, if your carb is off it will definitely screw up low speed drivability.