View Single Post
Old 02-11-2017, 06:09 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I think what Bob was referring to is the cost to dry deck a stock block VS buying one already done and drilling your own holes if you want a wet deck. The shop, I work out of would charge a minimum of $300.00, possibly more to drill and tap a stock block for pipe plugs, install the plugs, cut off the tops of the plugs and then square deck the block. Also, on a stock block, the deck is so flimsy, installing the deck pipe plugs, which are tapered, will distort the cylinder bores at the top. This is right where ring seal is critical. So to really do the job right, a stock block needs all the machining I described, then it needs to be honed with torque plates. The IA II just keeps looking better and better. If you want a wet deck, drill some holes and go.
Having the dry deck aftermarket block from the start is a vast improvement over the factory block configuration. And Mike, I agree that there is a bunch of effort required to do it right, not just tapping a few holes, for sure.

And I agree with George that having two aftermarket blocks is a blessing.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.