View Single Post
Old 03-24-2024, 03:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarl View Post
If I pull both it doesn't... ...Could it be anything else causing this like the fan clutch? its a Hayden SD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
squeal with both or either belt, but no squeal with belts removed... ...I replaced the 2797 severe duty fan clutch and that didn't help.
First Guess: Both of you need to put the Severe Duty fan clutch in the recycle bin, and get a fan clutch actually recommended for your vehicles...which is almost certainly the standard-duty clutch. Guys install HD and SD fan clutches 'cause they "cool better", but they also lock up tighter, and don't release as fully, either.

The Severe-Duty clutch is so stiff it's almost like not having a clutch. Fan drag is more than the belt can transmit.

Second Guess: Get a Kricket I for V-belts, and adjust your belt tension AFTER using a straightedge to assure pulley alignment. Verifying pulley alignment is way more complex than most folks are willing to deal with, because you need to check from the drive pulley (crank pulley) to the top, and the bottom of the driven pulley, and then from the driven pulley back to the top and bottom of the drive pulley. It's a three-dimensional world, so the pulleys can be out-of-alignment in three dimensions. AND you have to account for the differences in pulley construction, some have a thicker front edge than others which means that you're really taking your measurements from the belt, not the front edge of the pulley.

Krickets are sold by multiple companies with various part numbers, and the plastic pieces may be yellow, or blue, or whatever. I got mine from NAPA when they cost less than half as much as they do now. Thanks, Biden. Get 'em wherever they're least-expensive.
KR1 for V-belts:
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBHKR1

There's a Kricket II (KR2) for serpentine belts.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBHKR2

Third Guess: Look at your radiators/A/C condensers, make sure they can actually flow air through the fins. If they were totally blocked, the fan would stall and it probably wouldn't overload the belt(s); but if they're merely restricted they're going to cause increased drag on the fan, which overloads the belts.

Last edited by Schurkey; 03-24-2024 at 04:05 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post: