View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default The Dreaded melted fog light

So I was in the process of replacing my fog lights when I tried to pull out the bulb only to notice that the place where the bulb is held has melted.

LAME.

I have come up with a game plan to fix this and get some higher wattage bulb (H3) in the stock housing.

ALSO after doing some research I found a place that sells LED replacements for the stock 880 fog lamp
http://www.superbrightleds.com/vehic...irebird/48/524

The LED replacements produce less heat and will not melt the fog IMO, you could probably even jump up to a 893 bulb and or the 50W version and get more wattage but no to little heat because of the LEDs and no filament

Anyways back to fixing the melted fog light.

First thing I am going to do is remove the melted portion (pictures to come)

Then I am going to buy some cheap metal housing driving lights and hack them up to use the back and where the bulb mounts.

To connect the different style bulb I am going to cannibalize the base of the burnt out 880 bulbs and solder the H3 bulb connectors to those 880 bases, that way I dont mess with the stock wiring.

So as this project progresses I am going to posts pictures.

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
14 Fiat 500e 83kW motor, 24kWh lithium ion battery, +2 sized summer tires