View Single Post
Old 11-21-2020, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbnapier View Post
No, you misunderstood me.

On my initial assembly, I chipped the cam gear where it indexes with the woodruff key. I, of course, didn't proceed to use that timing set. I had a backup timing set, which I installed, no problems. When the engine grenaded, I had to disassemble the engine, and when I pried off the timing set, I chipped the cam gear in the same place. These were both cast cam gears.

My analysis led me to believe there was an issue with my camshaft, with the groove in which the camshaft woodruff key nests. I relayed this to the machinist. He replied that he has for years used a flat bottom woodruff key for this reason. They nest cleanly and flat in the camshaft.

I was relaying that bit of info. It is a small detail I would not have known as a 1st timer, but would have saved me some grief and money. It had nothing to do with my engine failure.
Ahhh....So you chipped the timing chain gear that slips on to the cam, Not the cam gear?

Have you found cause and effect yet?....thought you spoke with a bearing rep or two? Any info?

I run Clevite bearings on my build, so I’m curious.

71 GTO, 463, KRE 295 cfm heads ported by SD Performance, RPM intake, Qjet, Dougs Headers, Comp cams HR 246/252 ...11 to 1 , 3.55 cogs, 3985lbs.....day three- 11.04 at 120mph ....1.53 60', 6.98 1/8 mile