View Single Post
Old 11-06-2019, 04:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
How did that work out? I understand opening the idle tubes and idle bypass restrictors, but don't know what you mean by idle spring. Do you mean the power valve actuating rod spring? If it's too stiff, with a lumpy cam and low vacuum, the power valve will be open most of the time, resulting in the fuel/air mixture being too rich.

The stock power valve rod spring on a Tripower center carb is about 220 grams. I've found that, with a lumpy cam, about 170-170 grams of spring pressure works well with the stock power valve. .Cutting about five turns off the spring is a good start.
Sorry about the terminology - you are correct - it is the stock power valve spring on the center carb that I cut down - per Mike Wasson's advice.

I had all carbs apart on the desk in my office and set all float levels and jets per his specs as I had never worked on tripower carbs. He was spot on as the engine with the tripower installed at its break in - dynode at 423.7 hp with 412.1 ft lbs of torque @ 5400rpm.
That is its peek performance after all dyno runs with some timing and jetting tweaks on the rear carb.
I am very happy with it.