View Single Post
Old 03-05-2018, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Surprised nobody else has jumped in with advice yet. Since I have never disassembled anything within the steering column, I'm afraid I don't have much more in the way of advice.

If it is stuck because of something gummy, you might dry dripping some Goo Gone, a citrus based adhesive remover. It might help the assembly to release.

Looking in the Service Parts Catalog, I see that the Tilt Column Horn Contact was serviced as an Assembly.

The Assembly consisted of:

The Horn Button Upper Bearing Contact Plate
The Horn Button Contact Insulator
The Horn Button Contact Cable Assembly

The Parts explosion illustration identifies them as separate parts and shows them individually but indicates that the individual parts were not serviced.

But it isn't clear that they can be removed as an Assembly.

The Shop Manual doesn't suggest that it can be removed as an assembly.

It looks like the Cable wire is connected to the underside of the Plate and the Plate should separate from the Insulator underneath it.

Seems like you might be able to get something thin between the Plate and the Insulator under it and pry it loose.

You'll need to remove other parts before you can remove it altogether. At the very least, you would need to remove them in order to reinstall the Horn Contact with the Cable wire.

These reassembly steps might be helpful to understand how far you need to go in order to install the horn wire.

14. Connect turn signal switch control on ball crank in turn signal actuator, mounting cable loop inboard. Install cable bracket screw.

15. Install tilt lever into tilt release actuator.

16. Assemble horn contact and wire through actuator assembly and mast jacket.

17. Move tilt lever up slightly to prevent lock shoes from engaging pins, then install actuator assembly over steering shaft.

18. Align actuator assembly pivot pin holes with pin holes in support assembly and install pivot pins.

19. Raise tilt lever and lift upper steering column to maximum up position.

20. Install upper ends of two return springs with tool J-21181, spring installer.

21. Install turn signal actuator yoke assembly and detent spring.

CAUTION: Check to be sure bell crank is engaged in bracket of yoke assembly.

22. Install upper steering shaft bearing, inner race, seat, retainer, wave washer, and new collapsible spacer.

23. Install snap ring (tru-arc) over steering shaft and against collapsible spacer, then place tool J-21179 and 9/16" ID washer over steering shaft.

I figured it would be useful to list the reassembly steps so you can see what has to get reinstalled AFTER the Horn Contact and wire gets installed.

Note, they don't separately say anything about installing the Insulator so perhaps you can pry it out with the Contact itself.

The images are from the Service Parts Catalog, might be helpful
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img078.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	477357   Click image for larger version

Name:	img079.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	477358