View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 12:24 AM
Senior Chief

I had some progress and some setbacks today. I got the transmission in place so I could deal with the cross member. I am using the stock cross member. I don't know if there are different cross members but this one has two humps and had a powerglide hanging from it. No modification to the cross member was necessary. I have an Energy Suspension transmission mount and it bolted right in. It does appear to be taller than the Pontiac mount so I'm not sure what that will do to the drive shaft angle. One of the holes in the frame lined up so I only had to drill one hole in the frame on each side.

Setbacks: When test fitting the radiator I found that I have two different radiator to core support brackets. One of brackets holds a radiator 2-3/4" thick and the other 3-1/2" thick. My radiator needs the larger one. Unfortunately I can't find a listing for the larger bracket in any of my restoration catalogs. Another problem is that my radiator has a 1-3/4" outlet for the lower hose instead of the usual 1-1/2". There are hoses that work well if your radiator has a 1-1/2" outlet, so far I have not found a molded hose that looks like it will work. I may be forced to use one of those flexible hoses.