View Single Post
Old 07-28-2017, 06:23 PM
Senior Chief

Default Pypes exhaust system review - 1969 A-body

Thought I'd post a quick review in the hopes that the information provided here proves useful to board members

System: Pypes 2.5" SGA10 with std. downpipes
Mufflers: DynoMax 20" super turbo
Summary: High quality components that need a lot of work for a factor fit.

First, the quality of the tubing and bend work is excellent. No complaints regarding the material and bends. However, serious work was required to get this system to fit in a way I deem is acceptable.

Every, and I mean EVERY, pipe supplied had to be cut and/or modified. As supplied, the mufflers would have hung down unacceptably low. this is due to the fact the the the pipes from the X to the mufflers are not designed to follow the floor's contour. they are straight and do not place the mufflers in the stock location. The pipes from the X to the mufflers were significantly modified to get the muffles in the stock location. Refer to attached picture. Shown are modified rear pipes with offset to position mufflers in the correct location. Raising the mufflers required modification to the tailpipes as well. The end result is good, closely emulating the look of factory system from the side and rear.

As with most aftermarket high performance parts, one cannot expect a simple bolt-in system that fits like a factory component. I pity the guy who buys one of these systems and only has a floor jack, jack stands and a hack saw.

If you're looking for a "bolt-on" system that fits up nice and tight like a stock system, look elsewhere. But if you are looking for a high quality, high performance system and can make modifications or don't care about matching factory fit, the Pypes system is a good value.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	exhaust.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	459823