View Single Post
Old 04-28-2019, 12:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks;
I actually found that one a while ago;
It appears to have been relisted at least four times since I first came across it;
Each re-listing was a couple bucks lower.

It's only since I got back home from my nearly annual PDX trip, that I have been thinking about getting this piece corrected too;
So I revisited the auction, and did another google search, then made this post.

I really have no idea what these are worth, but am guessing that for what it is, and it's condition, he must be high if no one is buying;
I'd wager that's a great part for an early '70 model year L78/L75 powered Grand Prix, Tempest, Lemans, or GTO;
If I had an early '70 model year GTO, my OCD may have already gotten the better of me, but I have a June 1970 built Firebird...

At one time, the date code meaned almost nothing to me - it was all about the correct application/casting number;
Now that I understand date codes, I know that if I was to spend fair value (what ever that might be), I'm better off buying one dated correct, or saving that premium and buying a correct service replacement unit - because a premium paid for a part which is coded as being clearly too early for my car, is probably money I could better spend elsewhere... or put toards the next box of diapers (funny, but not funny)

Also, I did get an email today from a member, who indicated he likely has one;
I didn't give an offer on it, because quite honestly I don't know what one is worth, and I don't want to give an insulting offer.

I really believe that to a point, what goes around comes around, so I don't want to seem to be a cheap jerk... hopefully that makes sense.

Opinions on value would be appreciated.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)