View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had a couple of odd stops.

When I bought my 74 SD455 4-spd back in the mid-80s, I purchased a personalized tag that read "MY SD455" for it. I was pulled by a cop in a small town a couple of counties away from where I lived. He was polite and asked for my driver's license and registration, which I gave him. After looking over the registration, he asked me if it had the original motor. It turns out he was a Pontiac guy and had a couple of Pontiacs, including a 69 Judge. He was very polite and owned up to stopping me out of curiosity when he saw the plate.

My next odd stop happenedin Virginia in the later 80s. I had an arrangement with a guy in WV who raced Pontiacs and put Chevy V8s into S-10 trucks and Blazers. I would find him solid Firebird bodies and S10 bodies, and he would find me rusty GTOs and early Firebirds with drivetrains. I had gone up to his house to look at a car one day in winter. I was driving my all original 70 Grand Prix 455 car. I was on my way back and it was cold, dark and pouring rain when I got pulled by a Virginia State Trooper. I rolled down my window and he asks me for my license and registration, which I provided. He then tells me that it is illegal to have a radar detector in Virginia. I told him I didn't have a radar detector, and he says he saw the light from it clipped to my sun visor.

My GP still had the original AM radio, so when I travelled I used a small Sony Walkman radio with ear buds that I clipped to the visor. I had taken the ear buds off when the lights came on. I pulled the Walkman off and handed it to him. He just stood there for a second, started cursing, handed the Walkman back to me and walked back to his car. I waited a couple of seconds, and he left. I expected him to at least tell me I was free to go or something.