View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Random painting questions

I've got all my individual panels painted and just have the body left to do. It's on the frame with wheels/tires installed.

I have several questions about the best setup to be able to paint the body as well as the "proper" way to paint the roof. I currently have the car on wheel dollys and plan to remove them (and rear wheels) and put the car on axle stands prior to paint, to get it a bit lower.

First: The painting video's I have seen recommended "walking the car" and painting the roof in complete passes, but this is very difficult to do standing from one location on a stool...the only way I have been able to spray (primer) in complete passes on the roof is by standing on a 3' long work stand and walking back and forth on it, and I have to be very careful not to walk off the end. On some Youtube video's I watched recently, the painters just used a stepstool and painted (an an example) the rear half of the passenger side of the roof, then moved the stool up and did the front half of the passenger side, which results in lots of overlapped strokes on the middle of the roof. Is this a typical approach? What's the best way to paint the roof?

Second: if you lower the car to get better roof access, how do you get good paint coverage under the rockers? Seems I read somewhere about jacking up one end of the car a bit to help with this. Any advice?

Third: This is a complete paint job and I need to paint the quarter window openings right up to the inner edge, as well as the rockers where the door opening is. What's the best way to mask the interior to protect from overspray yet still allow you to swing the gun into these openings?

Any input is appreciated!!

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	body in booth.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	549753  

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...