View Single Post
Old 01-10-2020, 03:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've had a Pertronix Ignitor I in the L79 Chevelle for two decades, never a problem. I've had an Ignitor II in the wagon for close to a decade. Never a problem. Now, if you try to power them with a resistor wire or leave the ignition on for a length of time without the engine running..... But then neither of those would be the fault of the Pertronix systems. I have had a Crane XRi in the GTO since it's been running, never a problem. Now, the HEI in my truck seems to puke modules about once a year over the past 7-8 years. I do carry a set of points in the Chevelles in the event the Pertronix were to strand me and I carry a spare module in the truck. I've changed the module in the truck on the side of the road at least 4 times, I've yet to have to use the points in the Chevelles. Dave and others have suggested getting an AC Delco coil and an original pre-1975 module for the HEI. I changed the coil and got an NOS module. I haven't installed the module yet as I'll put it in if the current one dies. The coil I took out passed every test possible.

Dave Ray is alive and well and doing work. He is fairly active on Team Chevelle. Anyone with one of his small body HEIs has nothing but praise for it.

Last edited by Rich-Tripower; 01-10-2020 at 03:36 PM.