View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably time to give some updates on my progress. for this thread. I have been busy working on the main girdle system for this project the last several weeks. I made some parts earlier this year in the shop, now I am reverse engineering and computer modeling. I am working on 3 different girdle designs. They have different levels of mods, from economical with no block or pan mods to extensive mods. Two systems fit in the OEM Pontiac oil pan, the third I am working on uses Mopar B/RB rear sump oil pan. The Mopar pan is a tight fit, if you know of a similar design that is and inch wider I would appreciate the tip. One system bolts to the pan rails, basically is a expandable halo system in a stock pan , the second does not use halo’s, just cross bars or bridges between the pan supports in a stock pan, the third is a main frame bolted to the pan rails and is very similar to girdles used in BB mopars, 1 piece girdle bolted to the pan rail support and the mains. I am mainly designing these for 2 bolt main engines. The engines that are drilled for 4 bolt mains like the 455 I have, I am using the outer main cap bolts to tie into the pan rail supports. I have main caps modeled to do billet steel two bolt main caps for higher hp stuff down the road. We have been fitting this in between other engineering projects, but I am making progress. Maybe not fast enough, but if this were easy it would have been done already.

The engine projects I for these right now, 1 is going in my 77 T/A, 500557 block, over 500 hp. The second is going in a 455 nitros engine about 800+ hp, I am going either going to run it in the GTO while I work on the boost system, or pull the 455 Olds out of my Chevelle and run the Pontiac in it. It is mostly together, I will have it done before the 389. The 389 turbo engine is still the main engine I plan to use for the car for this thread. A lot going on this year, so it may not be this year, still my goal though.

About this build. I know I will have very little if any time to go to the track much this next year, so I am trying to do all this so I can drive it on the street. On the GTO tribute we have the body sitting on the new chassis. New to it anyway, we are using a modified FMCo P71 police chassis. I have the pistons for the 389, forged 4.125 bore for stock length rods and 3.75 stroke. The heads are done. The 290/290 roller cam I was hoping to use has a ramp that it appears it had a lifter issue. I some how missed that, so I had to punt on that cam. My TA engine is using a Bullet/UD hyd roller profile with Crower Solid rollers and edm oiling, the 455 has a comp flat tappet solid with edm oiling. The Bullet cam is a street oriented cam and has a decent tuning window for lash. Tim at bullet helped me with it. I am thinking about doing something similar in the boost engine.

I hope to build an all out Pontiac engine with one of the girdle systems to sacrifice in our Pulling tractor to see were it comes apart.

“If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn’t be called research”

Last edited by Jay S; 01-09-2020 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Edit