View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 12:29 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70
I am sorting out some driveline angle issues. Ever since I have owned the car, I've had a high speed vibration. This was true with the Pontiac 400/4 speed Muncie, and it was true with the BBC/Richmond 6 speed combo. I think I have it nailed down fairly well. Here is a website that has been very helpful in understanding what exactly I am dealing with:

http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_...aft_Angles.htm

Andrew
I was about to say pinon angle.....:-)

I used to put a lot of 302 SBC's in Vegas and in order to reduce wheelhop and driveline vibration, not only did I raise the pivot points on the upper control arm mounting points, but I made my own adjuastble control arms from Geo Storm rear wishbones. This allowed me to set the pinon angle anywhere I wanted with a few turns of a wrench.

I also built my own tubular crossmembers for the T-50 5-speed gearboxes out of chrome moly aircraft tubing and swapped the front and rear suspension over to 5-lug. Nothing as trick as what you are doing, of course, but they would easily run deep into the 12.00's with very basic parts.

One of the things we found common to the the Chevrolet Vega (and something no one else ever addressed) was the engine centerline didn't line up with the centerline of the axle, so we made our own motor mounts to correct this. The driveline is much less forgiving of lateral misalignment in terms of vibration.

Sounds like you have the problem on the run. I especially like the creative use of weight jacks...something you don't see on too many street cars.

Keep up the good work...Robert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	302 Right Bank.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	132397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Custom 4-Link Adjustable.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	132398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Custom Crossmember.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	132399   Click image for larger version

Name:	S-10 Axles and Buick GN Brakes.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	132400   Click image for larger version

Name:	RHRE Decal.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	132401  

Last edited by Z Code 400; 05-12-2008 at 12:36 AM.