View Single Post
Old 09-20-2020, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Walmart Everstart Maxx Battery

I have sung the praises of this battery for years. Probably started buying them in the '90s if not earlier. They had a yellow case back then. I loved the warranty. At one time the pro rated portion was 72 months and then I think went to 84 months for a time.

More than a few times I have made use of the warranty. Sometimes during the free replacement period, sometimes during the pro rated portion.

Around 2010, Walmart cut the warranty. IIRC, they stopped offering the extended pro rata portion. I bought a Maxx during that time anyway but not long after, I needed another battery and went elsewhere because I found a superior warranty (don't recall the vendor but likely one of the chain auto parts stores).

I also noticed at some point that the Maxx was produced by Johnson Controls.

After a short hiatus, I saw that Walmart had brought back a pro rata warranty, 3 year free replacement plus 2 years pro rated. Not as good as way back when but better than nothing.

So in 2014 when the 3 yo OE battery died in my wife's 2012 Civic, I put in a Maxx 51R. Added felt washers and greased the posts as is my habit.

About 30 months later, the Maxx died. Replaced it with a "free" Maxx.

Last night that Maxx died. It is 42 months old. I took it in to Walmart thinking there should still be a little warranty left.

Was disappointed but not shocked when they told me the replacement battery only carried the balance of the original warranty, so no warranty remained.

In hindsight, I'm not sure if they knew that I got this battery in 2017 for "free" by the receipt I gave them or by scanning the bar code on the battery. If I didn't have the receipt, they might have gone by the bar code and date sticker on the battery. Perhaps would have received some pro rated discount.

So I paid full price (~$125).

I see that the battery is now distributed by Clarios. That is just a new company name for Johnson Controls so no change there.

But the kicker, when I asked if the new battery has a full warranty, I was told yes, but they only provide the 3 year free replacement warranty now, the pro rated portion is once again gone.

I still like Walmart because they are everywhere. But I'm not sure the new warranty justifies the price.

I didn't look at their less expensive battery prices. In the past, I was willing to pay more to get the better warranty. Now I'm not sure it is worth the premium for the Maxx.

Spilt milk for today but I'm thinking my next battery purchase will either be a value priced battery from Walmart or one with a better warranty sold elsewhere.

Not complaining but wonder what everybody else is seeing for battery warranties and pricing these days. Are the warranties being cut back by all battery makers? Anybody have good luck with value priced batteries in a newer car?

My past experience seems to be useless to me now.