View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 11:17 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Milner View Post
Thanks for the replies. I thought it was a bad valve at first too but ruled that out with the head swap. Both sets had been valve jobbed and were in good shape. I started out with a 800 78 t/a Quadrajet. I thought maybe there was a carb problem so then I took a 750 edelbrock off of one of my drivers since I knew that carb worked fine. Still no change. I did check for vacuum leaks. I have the rear port on the carb plugged temporary. The only things I’m running off of the carb are the vacuum advance and pcv valve. I have not driven the car down the road yet. It has only ran in my shop for roughly 45 minutes. One thought going through my mind is the stock 1.5 rockers with the .525 lift cam and maybe there wasn’t enough clearance. But I don’t have any bent pushrods and have not heard any clicking. Really stumped on this one since it sounds great idling and holding the rpm steady.
What is your timing? Initial & total? Is the vacuum advance direct to engine vacuum or ported?

Just for fun, wire the choke somewhat closed to richen the carb and try that and see if it pops.

How did you set your valves? Are you running an adjustable valvetrain with poly locks?