View Single Post
Old 09-20-2020, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the replies. I have tried both ported and manifold vacuum for the advance. I have bbc studs and nuts on my heads and adjusted the valves by following the procedure from the picture I attached. When I noticed the popping issue, I then adjusted them with the engine running, thinking I maybe had one too tight.. I backed them off until I could hear a click, then tighten till it got quiet and added about another 1/4 turn. I feel like the valves are adjusted right on. On my timing, I just adjusted until the engine sounded the best since I haven’t had the chance to actually drive the car. I got the timing advanced enough to where the engine would kick back on the starter when trying to start and backed it off slightly. It starts fine and idles fine. Sounds good revved up to 3,000 rpm. I really feel like it should be close enough to run ok until I can get it on the street. It did not make a difference with the popping no matter how I advanced or retarded the timing. This is with two different distributors. The parts in one of my distributors are new. Wires are new stock replacements. That’s certainly not to say they are good though. I’ve never seen a new cap and rotor go bad so quickly. The contact points all were chalky white looking and as you can see the new cap was burned. This was roughly 45 minutes of run time. The second distributor had used parts in it. It sounds just the same as before. I’ve double and triple checked my firing order with both distributors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	92D06E3D-0232-4F2F-9301-2CAAA5CEC625.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	549966