View Single Post
Old 11-04-2019, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes it can. No it shouldn't be done.. I used to jump a 6 volt 1955 international truck I owned with 12 volts and never had a problem. I never did it with lights or radio on just the blower fan to absorb some voltage. I also did it fast like kissing your sister. Just enough to start it. The starter generator regulator and ign system can handle a short 12 volt burst, but not lights or radio. I was 18 years old in 1970 on my own with no parents and in my 1st year of college. I did what I had to do until I could scrape enough$ to buy a battery. Probably jumped it a dozen times. I ran it for 3 years with no problems before i sold it and even took it across country from Tucson Az. to Pittsburgh Pa. In Pittsburgh I worked at a coal wash plant in the country in the middle of nowhere. An 18 degree below 0 day after work it wouldn't start Cranked real slow. A buddy came out with a 12 volt car to jump me, but it still cranked to slow. I built a fire under the oil pan and after it got cooking it started right up with a jump. I don't know, but I don't see how a jump from 12v to 6 v could damage the 12 volt system. If anybody would know it would be George and I would appreciate it if he would enlighten me.