View Single Post
Old 09-05-2020, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I tried suggestions offered here but got nowhere. So far only worked on the LH cover.

After aggressively trying to flatten the valve cover flange, I remeasured and saw that I've made almost zero progress. Might have reduced the gap between the bolt holes to 0.023" at best. Not really sure that is better than than the 0.025" I reported before, perhaps just more carefully measured. I'm stymied because the bolt hole area is too stiff to hammer it down from the inside. And trying to hammer the cover flange down from the outside got me nowhere. Finally just gave up. I've glued the gasket to the cover with Permatex Optimum and plan to use a smear of Hylomar Universal Blue non-hardening sealer to the head flange.

But now I have a new question, hoping you guys have an answer.

The new gasket is the 5/16" thick Edelbrock 7590. The old gasket is only 3/16" thick.

I think my existing bolts are reproductions. They are marked with a stamped "W" on the head. 5/16"-18 x 9/16" as best I can measure. Washer Flange Head with "dog" point tip. Shiny silver, not sure if coated or maybe stainless, they are magnetic. Not sure where my engine builder got them. Pic attached.

The originals were p/n 9776669 but I'm not sure what they looked like, finish, and length. Anybody have a picture?

Inline Tube sells a set similar to the ones I have. But the marking is "E". They describe as Chrome and silver zinc. Same 9/16" length by the description.
https://www.amazon.com/Inline-Tube-C.../dp/B06Y4C141R

On eBay, I found these with the claimed "correct W" marking but they are dull phosphate coated, not shiny.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/W-valve-cov...-/263099172381

I think I want a Washer Flange Head bolt 5/16"-18 x 11/16" with a shiny silver finish. I think the Washer Flange Head is critical to spread the clamping force and also will look as correct as possible.

Anybody know where I could find such a bolt?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1764.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	548767