View Single Post
Old 10-16-2020, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The long saga is finally over. Took a 60 mile drive down, around, and up the mountain today.

The Inline Tube longer valve cover bolts worked great, long enough for attaching the dipstick tube bracket and also the wire loom bracket attached to the upper bolts of the RH cover.

Package shows product no. INL11169 and description on the label claims 11/16",

Plenty long enough for the Edelbrock 5/16" thick 7590 gaskets.

After giving up on my attempt to do any straightening of my original (not repro) covers, I glued the gaskets to the covers using Permatex Optimum Max Flex Black gasket maker. Placed the covers on a wood board and wrapped a bungee cord around the board and cover to put a little compression pressure while the sealant cured.

I then put a thin film of Hylomar Universal Blue non-hardening jointing compound on the head gasket surface.

After the Hylomar started to set-up for a couple minutes, I installed the covers and torqued the new bolts first to 35 in-lbs, then to 65 in-lbs.

After about 10 minutes, I retorqued at 65 and several minutes later, retorqued to 70 in-lbs. Recommended torque is 65+/- 15 so I erred a little to the high side.

I also took care of my Muncie trans fill plug leak. Removed the plug, wrapped a few turns of teflon tape followed by a thin film of pipe sealing compound. Reinstalled the plug and snugged it up (no torque wrench). I made it tight with a small crescent wrench, I'm a relative lightweight so I did not try to over-muscle the plug, just a bit tighter than I would make an oil fill plug.

Idled it for about 10 minutes looking for any leaks. Found none.
An hour later, I took it for a good drive at speeds up to about 60. Upon return, reinspected. No leaks at the valve covers or the trans fill plug.

I am very happy. I'll be watching for any continued leakage. The rear main might still be leaking.

I was getting some clutch chattering at a light well into the drive today.

If the main is leaking I'll probably need to address that issue one day.

But for now, I'm upbeat.: