View Single Post
Old 10-18-2020, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My '73 TA has the Custom Saddle interior as seen in Post 5.

Is the Saddle color of the Standard interior as posted by cnc same?

Also, I was told the '75 Saddle was same color as the '73. I've seen pix of a '75 Saddle and it sure looked same as '73 but was only going by memory of what mine looked like 40 years ago, not comparing side by side of actual material.

Green Hornet, is that not true?

I have the original seat covers still on mine. When I owned the car '78-'80 the interior was still in very nice shape. Sometime thereafter and before '91, somebody installed black cloth seat covers (all plastic stuff and dash was sprayed black which is peeing and now a mess, I guess a PO didn't like Saddle) which seems to have done a pretty good job protecting the vinyl which I discovered upon reacquiring the TA in 2016.

I have removed the cloth from the rear seat but not the fronts yet. The rear upholstery is not perfect but decent enough for me.

The driver seat had a small piece of exposed plastic piping where the vinyl had been worn or torn when I originally acquired it in '78. I expect to find that same exposed piping when I get around to removing the cloth seat covers. Hoping the vinyl is still decent enough under the cloth.

The vinyl and plastic was sprayed black during resto of my '64 GTO. Probably helped things like the front kick panels. But the upholstery seems to have a stiffer/shinier/slicker feel to it than what I remember of the Morrokide from my first then 10 yo '64. Of course that was a LONG time ago and my memory could be way off. Still, I'm not convinced it was the right move to spray it with the SEM vinyl "dye".

The TA will be strictly a driver so I'm hoping to retain the original seat covers as is. But the dash, door panels, hard plastic, headliner and all the rest will need work so some of the parts will probably need to be sprayed.

So I'm watching this thread to see what I can learn.

72projectbird, are you recovering the dash? Who are you using? Anybody else have a recommendation? If I send it (and the console) to Just Dashes, will it come back same vinyl and color as original? Is there a better vendor?