View Single Post
Old 03-13-2024, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

If you are needing a trans anyway, biting the bullet on a 4 speed makes sense. The problem is you're going to have to find an build a trans regardless. You're going to be in the 2-3K range for that, regardless of transmission, depending on how it's built. A stock 4l80e would do well in your application. You may need to look, but if you can find a workable 2wd rebuildable core, I think you'd be in it for about 2K including the core cost.

The factory 4l80e torque converter would probably be excellent in your combination as well.

There is some added cost involved here outside of a 200r4 or 700r4. That being the electronics to control it, TPS sensor and the need for an aftermarket cross-member. I don't know what your budget is so it's hard to say if it fits.

I'd look at a 700r4 as well, but you'll need some performance upgrades to that one. Probably a beast shell, kevlar bands and a servo upgrade at minimum. What you don't spend on the electronics and cross-member, you end up spending on trans upgrades. The 200r4 is in the same category there.

My 4l80e swap came in around $5300. That was the core, performance rebuild that included an HD2 shift kit, pump mods and extra friction, crossmember, electronics and everything installed. It also included a spendy TSP converter that you don't need here. If you're comfortable doing the work yourself (I wish I did) you likely knock $1000-$1200 off that price tag.