View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 09:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Don,

I've mentioned this before but failed to follow up. Will begin to do so.

I started collecting info on all '64 GTOs back in '84. B'Cast copies, VINs, Trim Tag info, Warranty Tags, owner info, Window Sticker info, Manifest info, etc. The purpose was to decipher the Trim Tag codes (working w/Pete McCarthy).

Over the years, I've collected info on hundreds of '64 GTOs by surveying owners from Smoke Signals, the GTO Assoc., car shows, junk yards and even a car I'd see on the road. Back before computers & databases, I'd organize this info manually. At some point, I started logging the data into an Excel matrix.

I'll start putting together everything I have and send it to you.

As for disclosure of VINs, I guess I can understand some concerns regarding confidentiality. There are some out there who mis-use everything (shared a Build Sheet from an HO 68 GTO once to a local Detroit area friend.. car was parted out. He ended up doctoring what I gave him for his own 'clone' and didn't present the car at a show as a clone). Anyhow, I suppose it makes sense not to publically distribute VINs. However, one wonders then why VINs are not hidden on vehicles. They're right there on the dash for all to see (which is how I gathered many from car shows). Not saying it can't be done, but how is it that someone can take the VIN from another's car and use this to steal/clone or?? another car? It's your VIN; you have the title. Is it that easy to take ANY VIN and walk into a DMV/Sec.State and get a title for it?
Then what? Create new a new VIN tag (and Trim Tag), put it on your car and claim that your's is legit and the rightful owner of the real car/VIN is in possession of a fraud? Again, I'm sure anything is possible. Just saying; if it were that easy, Auto Mfg. wouldn't display the VIN.

Is there a law anywhere about publishing VIN numbers?

Not trying to stir up a debate; Just wondering why the secrecy?

Personally, I think that part of a Registry is to see the VIN and associated data to reveal some interesting results. Maybe help someone find a car they once owned. Track certain production variations. Determine which are still on the road or similarities. The VIN is the unique element of research. The Body Unit Number (I'm told) wasn't duplicated during production; That too would then be unique. In any Registry, you're going to have partial info. Sometimes, I obtained only the VIN; Sometimes only the Trim Tag info. The Dash VIN didn't appear until '68 so in order to get the VIN on a '64, you'd have to open the Door (wouldn't do that at a car show).

Anyhow, for what it's worth, I'll make copies of everything I have and put together a pkg. for you Don. Would be nice to finally see this info shared in a way that can benefit others (with or w/o VIN). It is interesting to see consecutive VINs come in from different parts of the country or, to find very early (like the 1st or last) VINs.

Thanks!
John
SR71@comcast.net

Semper Fi