View Single Post
Old 01-14-2022, 04:14 PM
Suspended

Thank you for adding to this site for "HO ' to be remembered. I have a ton of information to add to this site, however the files are too big. Once I get the time to break out my Auto-Cad book I am sure there is a way to Explode the file into lesser parts. Only then can I Insert them into the PY forum.

I just read what the suspension upgrade to the Pontiacs are, and I was lucky that when i bought my second hand 1979 Pontiac TA it came with Hurb Adams suspension. He did all the thinking. Who else would you want behind the Pontiac suspension Mechanics? He used Koni Shocks, pivot points on the Anti-Sway Bars, Shorter stiffer Springs all the way around. The Anti-Sway Bars are larger in Diameter front and rear. Installed is a custom Roll Bar in the Cab, Trunk and around the Engine. The Vehicle is lowered via Billstein 2" drop Spindles plus Hurb Adams rear Leaf Spring kit. I use the tallest and widest Cooper 15" Radials so I can rotate them for Street use.

I am pleased with the handling on our high ways and back streets. At top speed 130 mph the car is starting to lift in the front but it holds to the ground and that's what counts. Unfortunately, for me the Vehicle this low to the ground has its negative points. About six months ago I was visiting a friend and unknown to me because he had just moved to a new location, I ran over a Root from a Tree under the Asphalt driveway. I learned that the Torque Converter was damaged and finally replaced it with a Hughes HD one.

Brings me to this point, I now have Reverse gear but no forward gears. Been through the Valve body by cleaning it in Solvent and looked at the Front and Rear Servo/Accumulators. Cleaned the Screen to the Filter before the Governor. Flushed out the Trans. and added Fix all products. For the past six months I have been reading about Transmissions and Torque Converters. Inspected the Governor and replaced the old Black can Modulator with a new type. I had made little changes while I was in the Trans. during the diagnostic stage and went in and undid each one. I hooked up the pressure gauge and the pressures are raising as I continue to fight this project. Today I pulled the Trans. filter out and sealed the Neck at the Filter on this 1967 TH 400 that uses the original type. It moved some and could be sucking air. I used Epoxy on this Brand-new aftermarket part.

I am about to run the Vehicle tonight to see if the Trans. moves in the forward gears. I have tried everything to stay out of the Trans. for now. Before the Accident, I was having this Issue: The Trans. was going from third to second and back to third only one time in the last week prior to the Accident. The second week, in the last month, prior to the Accident, Trans. did that same event twice, third week the event happened three times and the fourth week, same event, happened four times. I would think that cleaning the Valve Body should have solved that Issue?

Here are my Trans. pressure results during testing in the driveway and Vacuum Modulator hooked up to Vacuum.
Park-Neutral = 120 psi
Drive 1,2,3 = 110 psi
Super 1,2 = 90 psi
Low 1 = 90 psi
Reverse = 125 psi
Neutral Brake Applied, Engine 1000 RPM, Pull out the Detent Shift Solenoid Switch Button near the Carb. = 80 psi

Note: All Tests done with Rear Wheels off the ground.
The Wheels turned while they were not on the ground, no load. When I Road Tested the Vehicle, I was able to roll down the drive way and slowly go around the block and went over a speed bump and lost the momentum I had and could go no further. I backed up and came home in reverse were the temp. came up to 240 degrees F. Got hot why?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	581883   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0034.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	581884   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0043.JPG
Views:	101