View Single Post
Old 12-27-2019, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Original documentation on the development of the GT-37 states the 330 hp rating should be used to adhere to the insurance companies premium penalty for when a vehicle's rating was over 10.5 lbs/hp. The proposal for the Tempest GT (later called GT-37) was 10.62 lbs/hp, and if the 27 series was offered, it would be 10.55 lbs/hp. Back in October 1969, Tom Goad special ordered a 3327 1970 Tempest with D98 stripes, 3.90 gears, 4-speed, etc. which would lead to the GT-37 model. Goad's car was the Cardinal Red one that was used in photo shoots. Goad kept pushing this proposal on Pontiac and showed the car to Zone Managers in December 1969, but it wasn't until March 1970 when he finally received the green light from James McDonald for production. As a side note, Goad states the car's performance is "close to that of a RAIV GTO", but not faster.

Knafel Pontiac offered the "Magnum 400" based off Goad's 1970 Tempest 3327 that was shown at the Zone Managers meeting. The other dealer that was interested in offering a car like this was Blue Ribbon Pontiac. Ben Harrison wrote up the Engineering Request for cost analysis based on the "Marketing Schemers" proposal on March 20th, 1970.

I've only seen the 330 hp rating.

Mike

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.