View Single Post
Old 09-21-2019, 10:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Update.
The new pickup coil has not arrived yet but I wanted to eliminate other possible culprets in the meantime.

First thing I noticed was the ignition coil screw holes in the distributor cap were stripped and the coil was not held firmly in place so I replaced the cap. Retested the pickup coil with ohm meter and the numbers definitely jump around when wiggling the wires.

Put it all back, road test with vac. adv. distconnect as suggested by 70gtojosh and there's no stumble or stutter, awesome.
Reconnect vac. adv. and still no stutter or stumble when stabbing the throttle. The only thing that was changed was the dist. cap so I guess some wierd movement with the lose ignition coil was occurring when stabbing the throttle.

I went ahead and replaced the 30yr old Accel ignition coil with the new ACDelco coil just to see if there was any difference. First noticed the new coil needs longer cranking to start the engine, the Accel would fire it up instantly. Short road test is inconclusive at this time, need to review the data logger to see if anything jumps out at me.

I'll test the new pickup coil when I recieve it and if the ohms are steady when moving the wires around then I'll install it and report back.