View Single Post
Old 09-16-2019, 05:16 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR RAM View Post
This is all great information!!! I have a direct link saved to my desk top for future reference.

It seems as though Turbos have a larger following than the supercharger crowd, almost cult like... LOL

I'm on the fence on which one I should go with for what I'm looking for on my current build. It will be a 9:1cr 496ci and see much more street than track.

Knowing that my block will be already at its limitation power wise I have decided my initial idea of 15psi was to much and have decided to adjust the goal to running 8-10psi however Turbos seem to have a very large cost of admission over the wallet friendly Supercharger making the it very attractive. I have always felt the Superchargers where best for low instant boost while a turbo is king for anything over 15psi....

So my question is how much harder on parts is a supercharger over a Turbo or is that something that even needs to be considered?

I hear so many people talk about turbos breaking less parts because they are easier on them. Since I will be pushing my cast iron block to its limits, I'm wondering if the turbo would be easier on the block or is that a mute thought. LOL

SPEED SAFE, NICK
I WILL TRY TO ANSWER THIS QUESTION:

QUOTE=AIR RAM;6062553] So my question is how much harder on parts is a supercharger over a Turbo or is that something that even needs to be considered?

I hear so many people talk about turbos breaking less parts because they are easier on them. Since I will be pushing my cast iron block to its limits, I'm wondering if the turbo would be easier on the block or is that a mute thought. LOL

SPEED SAFE, NICK[/QUOTE]

A) A supercharger is driven by the crankshaft snout/ crankshaft.

The snout sees a bending/twisting load as you drive the supercharger compressor, be it a load located at 12:00 (Roots Supercharger) or at 2:00 or 10:00 (Centrifugal Supercharger like a Vortech, Procharger, or Paxton unit).

The crank would see a twisting load if it was like some of the newer Alston/Vortech front mounted superchargers.

B) The Turbocharged engines would see none of these loads when they provided compressed air to the engine.

The loads in "A" would also create a load on the #2 block main bearing and a smaller load on the #3 block main bearing. At lower boost levels, say 12 psi, this can be contained easily with a Vortech / Procharger / Paxton Supercharger. A Roots unit, depending on the size, might see a much higher load on the crankshaft. I know of three Pontiac Engines (Cranks) who have had the snout replaced after it developed a crack.

So on a 15 psi Vortech Installation, you probably will be ok with the crank and block as many have been down that road with weaker blocks (Ford and Chebby).

No comments on Roots Race stuff as I personally have minimal experience on them but a lot of experience with the OEM (Ford) side of the units 3.8L and 4.6/5.0/5.8L production hardware. Some of these units have well over 100K miles on them.

Superchargers just look cool sticking out of the hood.

Centrifugal stuff is more stealthy. Turbos if done right are the real sleepers.
John Meany (Big Stuff3 owner) had a 1000 HP Corvette street car that could go anywhere and was very quick for what it was.

A few Fords have made 1400/1500 HP and are still built as true street cars.

A lot more time and effort to do it right though.

Tom V.

I like the 1000 HP street type engines that Luhn Performance is looking to market at some point. Be it Belt or exhaust driven.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.