View Single Post
Old 11-21-2020, 07:26 PM
Senior Chief

I don't have all the nitty-gritty details that I'm sure some of you would like but I did give a lot of trust to the shop. I told them what I was after, they asked me some questions on things like how to I plan to run the car, is it set up for race or street, transmission, rear etc.. I told them I wanted a really strong street motor that's not going to be grumpy and needed to be tuned for the street then race gas and tuned again for the track. I wanted to drive to the coast for a summer trip and not have to worry when I got to sea level.

I tell ya, I still get a grin when I recall them hitting the start button on a cold start. Instant on...no cranky cranking. I wasn't really not sold on the idea of EFI. I was actually leaning towards a dominator but then I remembered the days at the track, spilling fuel on the intake, dropping jets in the pits, try this-n-that with timing, but I'm a convert now. Maybe not the ideal for drawing out max WOT power but that's not the mission here. I had to keep reminding myself of that.

Ia2 Aluminum Block
522 CID
Molnar Rods
Diamond Pistons
E-heads (340 Butler)
10.8:1 compression
ARP head bolts
Balancer (SFI)
Flexplate (SFI)
Manley Springs
Comp Cams Hydraulic Cam (248/254 @ .050, 618/638 lift 112+4 LSA)
Comp Cams Rocker and Girdle
Comp Cams Roller Lifters
Milodon Pan and windage tray
Holley Sniper XFlow
Holley Hyper Spark Distributor
11 Bolt timing cover
Valve Covers (Williamsperformance.com)
Northwind intake ported and matched with heads
Meziere water pump
Power Master Starter
ATI Flexplate
Melling Oil Pump
Short oil pump housing by KRE
Driven Oil and Filter
NGK Plugs
New set of plug wires.

There's a question about the head bolts, honestly, I don't know why they chose them over studs. As the builder indicated to me this motor is just loafing along. The cam starts to poop out about 6000 rpm. He did a couple pulls to 6K which sounded like music. I presume because of where I'm planning to turn the RPMs and compression, it may not need it...I don't know. If you think this is a concern I could ask though.

I'm headed back down into town next week to pick it up. I should have a bit more info. The guys at MadCap Racing (I hope it's ok to post the name of the business) in Denver are a great bunch. As I was leaving the shop I saw a couple old Pontiacs in there in line waiting their turn for a refresh.

Once again to everyone here. I had been lurking then started asking questions and having learned from previous mistakes, don't build a Pontiac like a Chevy. Take advantage of that long lever for street driving. 4L80e is next and out on the highway for some cool smooth cruising.

Northwind with XFlow TBI
4L80E
3.50:1 Rear