Thread: 73 REAR SPOILER
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2019, 07:04 PM

Well I did it, I built a rear spoiler for the GTO, the formula x is here. After several tries I went with this one. I totally made the commitment when I put the hammer to the punch for the hole in the rear quarter, no turning back now. Drilled two holes in each quarter for the winglets and six in the trunk for the main section. Two sided tap didn’t trust it with wind pressures while driving. It’s a little heavy heavy being made from steel. Tried foam for a fibreglass one but it kept breaking at the wing tips while trying to shape it, so I gave up and went with metal. Although I did go with the tape for a foam seal between the spoiler and body.
After the body work and primer several coats and lots of blocking , I decide to paint it myself. Got the same paint from the body shop who painted the car. I went with a single stage urethane 3 coats and 3 coats of clear on top of that. Wet sanded and polished.
After installation I decide to get the Formula X decal made, just for the rear, it’s a lot smaller than the ones on the prototype didn’t want it that big, but I do have some big ones as well for the garage.