View Single Post
Old 10-06-2019, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

MA, a used LS1 engine is probably going to be the most economical way to go, also the most risky. Looks like a used LS1 goes for $2000-$2500 from a recycler with warranty.

If you buy a reman engine (short block or long block) you have no good core to turn in, so you'll be paying the core charge. Looks like GM no longer makes a new LS1 any longer, so buying new is out. Remans are a bit over $3000, then you're out the core charge because the block is scrap.

GM does sell a larger LS2 (6.0L), and an LS3 (6.2L), pretty expensive to buy a later model, larger displacement crate engine, near $7000, and up.

If it were me, I'd look for a used LS1 with a warranty like an auto wrecking yard. If you could hear it run you might try buying one from an individual, curbside warranty usually applies. The no warranty from an individual wouldn't bother me as long as I could hear it run. The LS series engines properly taken care of, run a bunch of miles. My LS2 has 140,000 and runs like new in my 05 GTO. I've heard many go over 300,000 miles with good care.

Camaro, T/A, and Corvette used them until 2005 when they upsized to the 6.0L LS2.

As difficult as it is to R&R the engine, you want it right the first time, doing it twice with a bad engine would really suck.
1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated