View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 06:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Ford Fusion brake job

I have a full service shop with a 4 post lift and have been doing brakes for decades. I reserve weekends for that sort of work as the carb business has me buried during the week.

Took in a 2010 Ford Fushion, no big deal, should be an hour or so job to do 4 rotors and brakes, everything is easily accessible, they were even kind enough to drill a hole in the front swing arm on the rear suspension to remove the lower caliper bolt.....better thinking that most other brands.

NOT!!!!!!

It took me nearly 2 days to get the rotors off of this thing. I tried EVERYTHING known to man to remove them, they are completely rusted forever to the hubs. I'll bet I hit them at least 2000 times each with a hand held 8 pound sledgehammer, they didn't budge!

Ended up having to torch them and bust them to get them to let-go. Never in all the years of doing this sort of thing have I ran into rotors this locked to the hubs due to rust. Now I know why they just kept putting pads on the worn slam out rotors for the past 10 years!

Anyone else ran into this deal?

Any other ideas about removing them, something I didn't try? I even tried the porta-power between the lower caliper mounting area and back of the rotor, and threaded hardened bolts in the retaining holes to help "push" them off, even drilled/tapped holes in them for bolts to push them off, they didn't budge.........Cliff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0891.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	518162   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0890.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	518163  

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),