View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
Ok... so reading in the past threads indicates that to adjust this, I loosen the two adjuster nuts on each tie rod and move them equally in the same direction. This should theoretically move the steering wheel the distance needed...
I would not start screwing arround with the tie rod ends, if you swapped the colum for a new one and the steering wheel is definately mounted to the hub correctly I would say the shaft in the colum to steering box splines were off when you put the new one in.

I would-
1. Get the front end pointed straight ahead and make sure the tie rod ends look even on both sides. Does the car pull or wander? If not dont mess with the tierods.

2. Make sure the notch in the steering wheel hub lines up with the notch in the steering wheel.

3. Make sure the signal switch is installed properly, I'm not sure off hand if there is an adjustment on that, I think there is but I'll have to look it up.

4. The splines on the steering wheel hub are the final "adjustment" to get the wheel straight after a front end realignment there is only a few degrees left or right to adjust with the horn switch contact for a T/A wheel. A standard pontiac steering wheel uses a longer horn wire instead of a plastic tube contact and has a little more adjustment.

Have any photos of whats going on? I'll bet the colum shaft was not centered to the steering box when you stuck it in. Being only one spline off makes about a 1" difference at the edge of the steering wheel.

Worst case you can start over.
Get the front wheels pointed straight, center the shaft in the colum housing to get the cancel switch centered, make sure the rag joint is installed correctly, slide the colum back in to the rag joint splines, center the steering wheel.

Make sure to use the right puller for the steering wheel hub and take the center nut off first before pulling at the hub, the hub uses spline to keep from spinning but also has a tapered fit to keep it tight, the nut press fits the hub to the shaft.

Keep us posted.