Thread: WIW 70 Formula
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2014, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The frame shop owner worked on my car as a side project, and he's finally finished. Didn't require a ton of work. Gaps were good to begin with and are now even better.

So far, I know we'll be replacing the tail panel, inner tail panel, patching the lower LH quarter, and replacing a section of the RH quarter just above the crease from the wheel to the tail panel (I have an original used quarter section for this). The trunk, drops, and everything else looks good. Next week she'll be headed to the media blaster for stripping--so we'll see what other issues are lurking. Given the lack of rust, I'm hopeful the work will be minimal and that we'll just have to deal with typical dings that have accumulated over the last 4 decades.

Most of the engine parts are in. The pile includes a new Allpontic aluminum block and a 4.5" forged crank--yes, I committed to 535ci. The heads and intake also turned out great.

I had to start making decisions about how faithful I'm going to be with the build sheet, and for that matter, '70 specific parts. I know I'll need to make changes in the interest of functionality and cost, but I'd like the car to maintain a '70 identity, and even more important, I don't want it to turn out looking cheesy or a hodgepodge.