View Single Post
Old 05-09-2020, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm using a factory "stock" HEI distributor with the only modification to it the addition of a POSITIVE STOP to limit the advance and a bronze gear for the roller cam. It has stock center cam, stock weights, and stock springs. I did "open" up the spring eyes slightly to start the curve a tad sooner and get it all in a little earlier without adding any timing at idle speed (750rpms).

I ended up going back to my tried and true factory "990" module after running several different aftermarket modules a few times and even once tried an Accel coil with zero improvement anyplace.

The module is around 45 years old and on the dyno it made a couple more HP and a little cleaner torque curve than an MSD billet distributor with a 6AL box on it. How does that happen? Just take a look at how "fine" the pointers are on the pick-up assembly and precisely machined compared to the MSD's "thick" parts and rusted all to chit since they don't (or didn't used to) effectively zinc plate those parts........and you will have your answer.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180808_094556.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	539738  

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post: