View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 01:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Engine Specifications

Well, I dont have any photos to post this week until the frame is back from powdercoating, but do have some updates on the engine progress. I received the final specs from ERL on the 428" shortblock. Here are some specs I received from Seth at ERL regarding the piston to deck height for each cylinder.
1. +.007”
2. +.007
3. +.007
4. +.008
5. +.009
6. +.009
7. +.007
8. +.009

4.131” cylinder bore size, 4.00” stroke, -8cc dome on piston, 1.1150” compression height on Wiseco piston, 6.125” rod,.051” thick gasket. After getting these numbers, I was able to move forward with a cylinder head choice. I decided to go with Dr.J's Performance AirWolf LS7 castings. I had done a lot of homework on flow numbers and parts selection, and after sitting down with Bryce at Dr. J's, I decided he was the best person to do business with. He crunched all of my numbers including my cam card specs to come to an agreeable compression ratio. We decided to go with a 68cc chamber. This will yield an 11.3:1 static CR, and an 8.6:1 Dynamic CR. Cranking compression will be about 185 which will keep me well within the range of acceptable for pump gas. I am running all factory GM EFI and electronics to keep the performance and reliability I desired for this build. My horsepower goal for this motor was 600. Anything over that will be welcome, but probably overkill since getting that much power to the ground will be futile. The numbers his program gave us were around 640 HP, peaking around 65-6700 which is what I wanted. No need to ring it out to 7k. I hope to have the drivetrain in the car next month. I decided on a color scheme for the engine. Pontiac metallic blue and charcoal grey metallic. The grey will be the color that I am using for the frame as well. Pictures will follow ASAP as everything progresses. Thanks.

1973 Pontiac Grand Am ERL built 430 CI LS7, Brodix STS BR7 heads, Magnum T-56 6-speed, Modulare 19" wheels, QA1/Global West/Speedtech suspension, Wilwood 6/4 piston brakes. BMW Donnington Gray paint. All wrapped up in a Hurst Pontiac tribute theme.