View Single Post
Old 08-09-2020, 07:55 PM
Senior Chief

Question CVF WRAPTOR and the WATER PUMP CVF provides...

OVERHEATING!
I'm only on page 11 of this EPIC SAGA and I need to know if anyone has installed the CVF WRAPTOR serpentine belt and accessories system? I have had that added to my 65 GTO with a 1965 421 Tripower. The first "surprise" was having to switch to an 11 bolt timing chain cover, because the 421 had an 8 bolt water pump, but the Wraptor provides an 11 bolt water pump. The 2nd surprise was the TRIPOWER requires a dimpled timing chain cover (just like the dimpled 8 bolt I had on it) and those are NOT available NEW, but fortunately BUTLER performance had a nice used one.
My engine is going over 235° EEK!!
Anyway, I have changed a LOT all at once, but the RADIATOR is an EXCELLENT COLD CASE LARGE tube, 2 core aluminum style, so I'm confident that isn't the problem. I don't know what kind of impeller vanes (stamped or cast) the WRAPTOR 11 bolt water pump has. My 8 bolt pump has BOTH the dividing plate and a second plate that I have attached a picture of. It's the plate with the "thumb" that blocks off part of the passages, and you can see it sitting on top of the dividing plate. DO ALL PONTIAC WATER PUMPS use BOTH plates?
I've been told that the mechanic only installed the divider plate, the one with the dome-ish curve that has to be as close as possible to the impeller vanes.
I need some help. No trapped air in the system, 2x 12" fans cranking air through the radiator.
Here's something that makes me think the divider plate has too much distance between it and the impeller, OR there's some other water pump related problem: When the engine is idling after being over 230° and the car is sitting stationary, the temperature drops at least 2° every 30 seconds or less (both fans running). If I increase the idle speed to 1,600 RPMs, the temperature immediately begins to climb. That makes me think it's a water pump related problem.
HELP!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20200809_170615.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	546808  

Last edited by avman; 08-09-2020 at 08:04 PM.