View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 03:59 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Pontiac View Post
Only the 8 bolt design has the two plates. The 11 bolt design uses one divider plate that must be close to the impeller for proper operation. From your description, the mechanic seems to have installed the plate correctly.

That said, you are probably right. If there was no problem before with the 8 bolt setup, and now you're running that hot with an 11 bolt setup, the problem is there somewhere. You're searching in the right area.

One thought I just had, how fast is the new pump turning compared to the 8 bolt setup? Is the water pump pulley the same size as before? Also probably worth pulling the pump again just to verify that only the one divider plate is installed, and that it is adjusted properly close to the impeller. This will also confirm what type of impeller you have (cast or stamped steel). You may or may not find the problem quickly, but each step gives peace of mind to move on to the next potential problem. Process of elimination.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the reply.
Knowing that there is only supposed to be one plate inside the water pump to timing chain housing is extremely helpful!
The pulley sizes all changed because of the Wraptor. The mechanic wants to try the mechanical fan next, but without the factory shroud. The Wraptor pushed everything forward and the fan would be too deep in the shroud to function properly. That's easier to try than taking everything off to check the gap between the water pump impeller and the divider plate, but I still suspect that I have too large a gap between the two.