View Single Post
Old 09-14-2020, 02:06 AM
Senior Chief

MAJOR UPDATE!
I finally made the time to remove the
Cold Case/Max Performance dual 12" electric fans and shroud assembly. Keep in mind that this is the fans and shroud assembly that Cold Case, my radiator manufacturer, recommended.
THE FANS AND SHROUD ASSEMBLY FROM THEM FAILED to keep the 421 from running hot!
Part numbers (to avoid in my opinion) is:
EF18A dual 12" shroud 15.5" GTO
FAN12 12" ELECTRIC FAN 1400CFM (Qty 2)
I am going to contact Cold Case/Max Performance tomorrow (Monday) and let them know without ANY doubt that their fans and shroud assembly are the reason why the GTO ran hot, not "a little" but up to 230° To be clear, I had each fan on a separate, dedicated 70 amp relay and power circuit, and the Dakota Digital PAC-2800BT electronic fan(s) control module, had them set to come on at 175 and 177 each, both to be on ANY time the AC was on. There was no way to make them "work better" to resolve the overheating problem.
Unfortunately, the factory mechanical fan shroud doesn't work with the Wraptor because it puts the fan too deep in the shroud. I could probably cut back the shroud to make it shallower, but I have another plan.
I am not going to keep the mechanical fan in place, even though it greatly improved the cooling of the 421, and here's why (I'm open to comments and suggestions, but I am executing this plan) Previously with the dual electric fans and shroud assembly, the cooling system temperature would run in the high 190s, around 195-200° NO AC, and speeds around 40-45 average. Within a minute or less of turning the AC system on, the temperature would rapidly increase and get as high as 235° still constantly moving at 45-55 mph. If I kept the AC on, and stopped the car, idling at a 900-1K RPM, it would gradually cool down some. If I turned off the AC, car not moving, 900 RPM idle, it would rapidly cool down into the low 190s high 180s. Raising the idle RPMs would bring the temps up again, NO AC, into the 190s.
With the factory mechanical fan, NO shroud, I got STEADY 186-190 degree temps, and with the AC on, the highest it went was low 200s like 201, 202. Turning the AC off and driving, the temps would drop back into the high 180s, low 190s.
BUT and here's the main reason why I want to switch to the CCI 1790 16" electric 2 speed fan and shroud assembly. AT IDLE, sitting still, AC ON, the temps would rise into the 190s. I think a shroud would help that, but I KNOW the electric fan will be running at full speed under those circumstances, and I think that will keep it cooler.
I'll follow-up again once I get the single larger electric fan and shroud assembly installed and tested on the road.
I want to add that Max Performance aka Cold Case tech and sales have been GREAT to work with. Hopefully they will give me a FULL REFUND on the fans and shroud assembly they recommended that doesn't do the job.