View Single Post
Old 07-09-2020, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 421/376 View Post
Thanks for the info . That is the same thing that I am running in to . I have the correct posi carrier that takes a 3.23 and I would like to upgrade from my current 3.08 .The other choice that I would have would be to go with a 3.36 but that would require getting a different carrier and gear set . I'd rather not go that route. Thanks again for your help . Don
Don, I may have another nice set of 3.23 early 8.2 Pontiac gears, have sold over half a dozen sets to PY members & have been hauling in core rearends that I had stored. 10 days ago finished another housing rack for the select housings I stock to rebuild. May also have a set of nice 3.23 LATE 8.2 PONTIAC 10 bolt ring & pinion in a longtime 71 GP parts car that I'm about to process & cut up for killer condition sheetmetal. I need to ck that rear, it will be next week. First, would be real helpful to know what model year of Pontiac 8.2 rear you are about to have work on.

The late Pontiac 8.2 gear sets began showing up in late '69 production, their ring gear bolts are LH thread & 1/16" larger diam threads. It is easiest if you get the correct Pontiac 8.2 gearset, versus having to have an early Pontiac 8.2's carrier's ring gear mtg flange holes opened up to mate with the late style Pontiac 8.2 ring gear, or have to install thin brass bushings in the ring gear mounting flange of a later 8.2 PONTIAC carrier to use the early ring & pinion. Have had to do both in previous builds.