View Single Post
Old 09-05-2001, 02:29 AM
Senior Chief

Friend of mine bought an 81 firebird that was originaly a V6 car, he got it for $500 so it was not to bad of a deal. Well he doesn't know to much of cars and I didn't go with him so he bought it. Well now it was suposed to have a Chevy 305 in it, like the guy said, well it isn't, it is some type of Oldsmobile, my guess is it is a 403.

Question #1 where is there an identification stamping of what C.I. the motor is, like on Pontiacs it is on the side of the block.
If it helps it has a 4bl intake (cast iron,for a quadrajet), but it has some smog heads, has the smog pipes that tap into the heads on all cylinders. Oh yeah one more wierd thing I noticed in the dark was that in the Passenger side Exhaust manifold it looked like it had an oxygen sensor in it, if it is not an oxygen sensor it is something as it has a 2 wire conector and plug comming out of it.

Question #2 would the original V6 mounts have bolted right up to the 403 or whatever it is? The reason I ask this is because there is at least 4-5" between the bottom of the oilpan and the frame unlike a Pontiac motor that is about 1" away.

Any help will be appreciated as I am not familiar with the 403, I will be converting him to the Pontiac line of motors in no time, don't worry.lol For right now we are going to get it up and running and making it look good, and fix whatever arises, but we need to know the cubic inches if possile.