View Single Post
Old 08-30-2019, 05:20 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
The D-port RA manifolds always used a 2-1/4" pipe, and the collector and exhaust manifold (to pipe) gasket was shared between all RA (D or round port) manifolds;
That in and of itself might lend to discredit your friends (probably well intended) misinformation.

If you are unsure about your friend having standard versus RA manifolds - maybe his dealer found a '66 RA car in inventory that closely matched his order, and sold it to him for a stellar price... is that possible?

I do seem to recall that there was a performance, or an accessories brochure that showed a different distributor, but the transistorized was the only one I could find mentioned anywhere at this time.

1966 Pontiac Performance brochure
(page 66, bottom, second from the right)
I had always suspected the manifold measurement difference was just a common confusion on how some people learned to "call out" the measurement of exhaust systems which still exists today. However, when he looked at my manifolds he did not hesitate to say they looked nothing like those on his engine. I showed him a pic of the RARE 67 manifolds and he felt strongly that was his recollection.

Baron,

Believe me, I did call BS many times, but this man grew up to be a A&P mechanic and Chief Pilot for 2 major oil and gas companies in this area, flying the CEO's in the best of private jets. While his memory, like mine, is always subject to challenge at this point in our lives it remains unshaken as to that car. Just wish I could find something to convince myself. As I read this in the quote unruhjonny posted:
"vintage (and NOS) Mallory Double-Life Dual points distributor"
I did not automatically think it was part of the Royal Bobcat "package" everyone talks about, but it might have been.

Thanks to all for the input
Mike Pearson

Muncie 4 speed (orginally an automatic car)