View Single Post
Old 08-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Suspended

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart
Police interceptors were available in two door or four door sedans at least as far back as 1961 in big cars. There was a two door '61 cop car Catalina for sale in the last year or so, and my salesman manual shows the option as well.
Interesting thread...always enjoy reading about the SD455 GTO/Grand Am. I had the original Car's Magazine issue - bought it off of the news stand. I bought another copy at car show swap meet to replace it years ago. Too bad that those beasts never made it to us on the street...wish it had been so, would make our GA's worth more and get the respect only fellow A-Body owners here know how great these cars are. Good thing that Wagner’s was involved in the CA project in 1977 or those surely never would have made it to the market and our garages.

Regarding early production 2 door police cars: I know Ford produced a 2 Door Fairlane 500 Police Interceptor in 1959. How? My Dad bought one in the early 60's in Albuquerque NM. It was a factory two-tone GREEN two Door with a T-bird Motor (352?) and Automatic "Overdrive". A fast car for it's time and it was a daily driver for several years. To look at it you never would have known it was a Police Car. After Ford, Studebaker, Cadillac, etc. transitioned to Pontiac (and stayed with) in the late '60's. Surely there were other EARLIER two doors offered, 40's Coupes to chase the moon shiners for example. Just IMO.