View Single Post
Old 10-16-2020, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
This is a super first world problems complaint, but putting gas in both my 67 and 64 sucks.

IDK if modern gas pumps are different, Im not as old as some of you guys. If you hold the pump down at full blast like normal, it backfills into the tube pretty quickly and shuts off the pump. It will also splash you if you are standing there. So rather than being able to put the lock on it and wait it out, I have to sit there and babysit the thing. Varying pressure when I hear it filling the tube. To get it full in either car I have to hold the pump and just about 20% throttle and let it creep up.

Anyone ever retrofit a modern style splash guard into a classic car fuel filler? I would certainly be willing to put in the work to swap one if there was one on the market.
We daily drive our classics so I know exactly what you are talking about.

Over the years I've basically resorted to barely sticking the nozzle in, and lightly pulling the trigger maybe 20% and just slowly fill the tanks. It's just something I've gotten used to doing and is second nature.

I've even gotten to the point of knowing which stations have better pumps and which pump number at those stations have less sensitive nozzles, because they aren't all created equal it seems. I'm filling 2-3 classics up every week that we daily drive, sometimes more if I get something out that's been sitting a while.

A couple of the cars have filler necks that shoot straight out the back so filling them up at full throttle is impossible anyway, you'll never fail at splashing a gallon of fuel all over the car and on the ground trying that no matter how fast the nozzle clicks off.
I've even been to a couple of stations (Costco comes to mind) where they won't even let me fill the car. Soon as I start pumping slow they come out and shut the pump off, stating they don't allow top offs, lol. They can't seem to understand I'm pumping slow to keep from spilling because you can't pump full blast with the nozzle locked Can't fix stupid though.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE